This aubergine recipe makes a tasty lunch or breakfast dish. News.Az is grateful to Gullu Cahangir for allowing us to use her badimjan qalyanaltisi (badımcan qəlyanaltısı) recipe and photograph, taken from her informative website Azerifood.com.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 30 -40 mins
- Bread (slices of bread or a baguette cut into pieces)
- 2 aubergines
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- cheese slices (optional)
- 1 bell pepper
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander and parsley
- salt & pepper
- Pierce the aubergines with a fork several times or they may burst during cooking. Place on a baking sheet, and bake in a hot over until soft to the touch. This will take 30 to 40 minutes in an oven heated to 400° F/200°C/gas mark 6.
- When the aubergines have cooled, cut them in half and scoop out their flesh.
- Put the aubergine flesh, chopped pepper, garlic, herbs and salt into a blender and blend into a rough paste. (Sour cream can be added to create a richer mixture, if desired.)
- Toast the bread and add a thin layer of finely grated cheese.
- Spread the aubergine mixture on the toast in a generous layer.