Aubergine (eggplant) roulade, made with garlic, walnuts and mayonnaise, is a zingy appetizer, popular in Azerbaijan and across the Caucasus.
Preparation time: 20-25 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 3 large aubergines
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 100 g/4 oz shelled walnuts
- 4 tsp mayonnaise
- 5 tsp vegetable oil
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander and dill
- Larger aubergines are best for roulade.
- Cut the aubergines into slices lengthways, roughly 1 cm/0.4″ thick, and rub salt into them. Leave for 1 to 2 hours to remove the bitterness. Rinse the aubergines and pat dry.
- Fry the aubergine slices in vegetable oil until soft, turning over half way through.
- Lightly spread mayonnaise onto the aubergine slices while they are still warm. Scatter the ground walnuts, a little of the crushed garlic and some chopped coriander and dill onto the mayonnaise.
- Roll up the aubergine slice with the filling on the inside.
- Serve cold.