The mallow makes this a refreshing spring or early summer soup. While other herbs can also be added, traditionally wild mallow and spring onions were used
Preparation time: 20-25 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 100 g/4 oz short-grain rice
- 50 g/2 oz melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 25 g/1 oz lavashana (thin rolled sheet of dried plums or cornelian cherries)or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 4 tsp wheat flour
- large bunches of mallow and spring onions (spinach and coriander can also be used but mallow and spring onions are traditional)
- salt & pepper
- Soak the small piece of lavashana in hot water until it dissolves.
- Wash and roughly chop the mallow and spring onions
- Cook the rice for 15 minutes in a large pan of water.
- Add 4 teaspoons of water to the flour and mix into a paste.
- Add the paste, chopped herbs, butter, soaked lavashana, salt & pepper and beaten egg to the soup. Stir well for 5 minutes until the paste has dissolved.
- Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes until the soup is ready.