Although its name in Azerbaijani, soyug salat, translates as cold salad, the name barbecue salad is a better reflection of the dish. If the salad ingredients are the first food to go on the barbecue, the salad can be made while the kebabs are cooking. The vegetables can also be grilled or baked in the oven, but won't have the smoky flavour of a true barbecue salad.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 40 min
- 6 aubergines (not too large or they will blacken on the outside before they are cooked through)
- 3 tomatoes (or more if you prefer a strong tomato flavour to the salad)
- 1 sweet green and 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 onion (optional)
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander and parsley
- vegetable oil and/or lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Wash the aubergines, tomatoes and peppers and thread onto skewers. Place the skewers on the barbecue and turn regularly as the vegetables cook.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Scoop out the inside of the cooked aubergines and tomatoes and de-seed the peppers. Chop and place in a large bowl.
- Finely chop 1 onion and crush 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and add to the salad, according to taste. Mix well.
- Finely chop the parsley and coriander and mix in with the salad.
- Add vegetable oil and/or a few drops of lemon juice and salt & pepper.
- Allow to cool before serving.