The name doymaj is derived from the Azerbaijani verb doymak (döymək), meaning to grind, powder or crumble.
Preparation time: 30 min
- 200 g/8 oz alcha, a plum similar to the greengage but less sweet
- 200 g/8 oz plums
- 100 g/4 oz sour cherries
- 100 g/4 oz apple (a cooking apple is ideal)
- 50 g/2 oz purple basil (reyhan)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper
- Stone the greengages, plums and cherries. Remove the apple core and pips and cut the apple into pieces.
- Put the fruit into a mortar and grind with a pestle or blend in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, purple basil and salt and pepper. Grind or blend again.
- Serve the doymaj with its own juice in small (not metal) bowls.
- Doymaj is eaten after a rich meal or kebabs.