Eggplant roasting is one of the delicious Azerbaijan meal. Primarily real xurush is prepared with eggplant.
Preparation time: 40 min
Cooking time: 90 min
- 3 small-sized eggplants
- 1 onion
- 100 g/4 oz mutton (beef also acceptable)
- lemon acid
- a few sprigs of yellow root
- salt & pepper
- Melted butter or vegetable oil If eggplant is thick then clean stalk. If eggplant is thin you can save stalk (but clean “leaves” only save stalk).
- Rinse eggplant and cut white stripes from 4 sides. Incise all sides and rub with salt. Leave aside for few hours to remove bitterness.
- Rinse, dry eggplant and fry in oil.
- Cut meat in 3×3 cm cubes. Put into pot, add some water and undercook it. Don’t forget adding salt. Collect the scum.
- Cut onions in circles and fry. Onion should be “dead” and transparent. Add meat and fry onions golden. Mix periodically because meat should also fry well.
- Lay eggplants on meat. Put a teaspoon lemon acid, 0,5 spoon yellow root, salt and boiled water into a cup. As this melt in water pour it on roasting. Decrease heat. Cover roasting and mix eggplants periodically without damaging it. Acid mixture must be mixed with dish. Khurush served with pilaf.