News.Az is grateful to Gullu Cahangir for allowing us to use her Fountains Square salad recipe and photograph, taken from her informative website Azerifood.com.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 20-30 min
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 of a large cucumber or 2 small cucumbers (Azerbaijani cucumbers resemble the shorter garden cucumbers and have more bite and flavour than the longer Dutch and English cucumbers)
- 2 large tomatoes (preferably beef tomatoes)
- 1 bunch of parsley
- salt & pepper
- Rinse the chicken breasts and place in a pan. Add water to cover the chicken completely and salt. Bring to the boil, skim off any scum that forms on top of the water, add 1 tablespoon of allspice and lemon juice, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is cooked (about 20 minutes).
- When the chicken breasts have cooled down, cut them into cubes.
- Dice the cucumbers and tomatoes as well, ensuring that all the cubes are roughly the same size.
- Chop the parsley and mix all the ingredients together.
- Add the mayonnaise just before the salad is to be served.
- Serve with crusty bread or bread rolls.