Runner beans, also known as string beans, are plentiful in Azerbaijan in summer and are the most commonly used type of bean in this dish.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 1 kg/2.2 lbs of green beans (runner beans, string beans, French beans or dwarf beans)
- 2 to 3 eggs (or more if you prefer a stronger egg flavour)
- 2 tbspns melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 1 saucer of finely chopped herbs (any combination of coriander, dill, purple basil and other herbs)
- salt & pepper
- pinch of turmeric
- To serve:
- plain yoghurt
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- Top and tail the beans and cut finely into pieces approximately 0.5 cm/0.2″ long.
- Peel and chop the onions and fry in butter or vegetable oil until soft.
- Add the chopped beans and mix well. Add 1 glass of hot water and salt & pepper. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 35 minutes until the beans are soft. If you prefer your beans al dente, shorten the cooking period.
- Beat the eggs as for an omelette and add salt and a pinch of turmeric.
- Add the beaten eggs to the beans and onion and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes or so until the eggs are firm.
- Crush or finely chop 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and add to plain yoghurt. Serve the beans and egg with the yoghurt and fresh bread.