They had an attractive fruity tang to this simple chicken dish, ovrishta (ovriştə).
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 40 min
- 500 g/1 lb 4 oz chicken
- 50 g/2 oz clarified butter
- 2 onions
- 75 g/3 oz dried Cornelian cherries
- 1/2 tspn sugar
- salt & pepper
- Break the chicken into 30-35 g pieces and add salt & pepper.
- Heat half the clarified butter in a heavy bottomed frying pan and fry the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
- Soak the dried Cornelian cherries in a little water.
- Slice the onions and fry separately in the remaining butter until transparent.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the Cornelian cherries and add to the onions. Fry to for several minutes, then add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the onions and cherries to the pan of chicken pieces and mix. Simmer over a low heat until the chicken is ready.