Barbecuing is a tasty way to cook liver. The liver can be grilled too, but will lose the smoky flavour of the barbecue.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 500 g/1 lb 4 oz lamb’s liver
- 100 g/4 oz sheep fat (the breed of sheep popular in Azerbaijan has a very fatty rump/tail – guyrug. Fat from this area, is widely used in Azerbaijani cooking) parsley
- Remove any membranes from the livers and cut into 30-40 g pieces.
- Cut the sheep fat into 10-15 g cubes.
- Thread the pieces of liver and fat alternately onto skewers.
- Sprinkle the liver with salt water.
- Cook over hot charcoal for 5 to 7 minutes either side until the meat is cooked through.
- Serve with chopped parsley and sumach, a red powder with a zesty flavour. Alkaline sumach is thought to aid the digestion of acidic meat.