The Azerbaijani name – sıyıq – is the word used for porridge and similar dishes cooked from grains.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 150 g/6 oz short-grained rice
- 175 g/7 oz walnut kernels
- 800 ml/1.5 imperial pints of water
- 1-2 tspns caraway seeds
- 1 small onion
- 75 g/3 oz clarified butter
- Rinse the rice. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes or so until the rice is partially cooked.
- Chop the onion and add to the parboiled rice.
- Crush the walnuts with a pestle and mortar or grind in a nut grinder. Add to the soup and stir well. Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes or so until the nut oil rises to the surface.
- Stir in the clarified butter and caraway seeds.
- Once the butter has melted, serve the soup.