Cabbage is often pickled on its own or together with carrot and beetroot, as in this recipe.
Preparation time: 60 min
Cooking time: 30 days
- 1 kg/2.2 lbs white cabbage
- 100 g/4 oz carrots
- 200 g/8 oz beetroot
- 5 bay leaves
- 10 allspice peppercorns
- 350 ml/12 fl. oz grape vinegar
- salt to taste
- Wash the cabbage, carrot and beetroot and slice into matchsticks.
- Add salt, bayleaves and allspice and mix well.
- Put into sterilized jars, leaving one-quarter of the jar empty. Add vinegar. Make holes in several places with a long spoon or other implement to make sure the vinegar gets everywhere. Add more vinegar if necessary.
- Seal the jars and store in a cool place for at least 1 month.