While green tomatoes can be pickled as they are, these stuffed tomatoes make a more interesting pickle. News.Az is grateful to Gullu Cahangir for permission to use her stuffed green tomato recipe from her informative website Azerifood.com.
Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 8 weeks
- 1.5 kg/3 lb 12 oz medium-sized green tomatoes
- 1 chili pepper
- 100 g/4 oz garlic
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 1 large bunch of mint
- 1 large bunch of dill
- 1 large bunch of tarragon
- 1 large bunch of purple basil
- 150 g/6 oz salt
- 400 ml/14 fl.oz grape vinegar
- Wash the herbs and chop finely. Finely chop the garlic and chili and add to the herbs. Add salt.
- Wash the tomatoes and partially slice off the tops without separating them completely from the rest of the tomato. Scoop out the inside of the tomato as though turning it into a little bag. Set the tomato flesh aside for use in other recipes.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the herb filling.
- Place the tomatoes inside large sterilized jars and seal. There’s no need to add vinegar, as the tomatoes will pickle in their own juice.
- Store in a cool place for 6 to 8 weeks.