Milk sherbet is served at the end of a meal in Azerbaijan or to welcome guests. Recipes for two versions of milk sherbet are given below: one is a simple, sweet milk drink, while the other includes the traditional dessert flavourings of cardamom, coriander seeds and rose water. The amount of sugar given in this recipe creates an authentic Azerbaijani milk sherbet, but those who do not have a very sweet tooth may want to cut back on the sugar.
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 4 hours
- 100 g/4 oz piece of sugar loaf or 100 g/4 oz granulated sugar
- 500 ml /1 pint milk
- 350 ml/12 fl. oz water
- half a glass of rose water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom pods (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds (optional)
- Boil the water. Add the sugar to it and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Boil the milk separately, add the coriander seeds and cardamom pods and leave to infuse for 3 to 4 hours. When cool, strain the milk.
- Mix the sugar water and flavoured milk together. If using, add the rose water, and stir well.
- Serve chilled.