Azerbaijani poached chicken is a light, healthy dish, easy to make. It can be served as a main course or appetiser.
In Azerbaijani cuisine, the term soyutma refers to any dish that has been boiled in water.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 60 min
- 400 g/1 lb chicken breasts or chicken pieces
- 100 g/4 oz pickled cucumbers or peppers
- 200 g/8 oz tomatoes
- 50 g/2 oz spring onions
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- a few threads of saffron
- 1 tspn black peppercorns
- pinch of salt
- Put the saffron threads in a cup and add boiling water. Cover and leave to infuse.
- Put the chicken in a pan and cover with water. Add a whole peeled onion, carrot, salt and the peppercorns. Bring to the boil and simmer for 60 minutes or so until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Rub the saffron solution into the chicken while it’s still hot.
- Break the cooked meat into large pieces and place on a serving plate.
- Chop the pickles and slice the tomatoes into rounds and place next to the chicken.
- Chop the spring onions and sprinkle over the dish.