Pumpkin soup (balqabaq şorbası) is a tasty, warming dish that can be made thicker by increasing the quantity of rice.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 1 kg/2.2 lbs pumpkin
- 100 g/4 oz short-grained rice
- 75 g/3 oz butter
- 150 g/6 oz onion
- 1 pomegranate
- Peel the pumpkin (the Swiss-style “Y” peelers are ideal for this) and cut into cubes.
- Just cover the cubes with water or stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 15 minutes or until soft.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, remove the pieces from the pan and mash.
- Return the mashed pumpkin to the pan of water and add the rice and salt.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- While the pumpkin and rice are cooking, fry the onions in butter and add a pinch of salt.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the onion to the soup and stir well.
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with pomegranate seeds (optional) and chopped coriander or parsley.
- Have granulated sugar as a condiment on the table as well as salt. If the pumpkin is not very sweet, adding a sprinkle of sugar to the soup will help bring out the flavour.