The name of this pickle of aubergines, cabbage, beetroot, carrot and herbs – haftabajar (həftəbecər) – means “ready in a week”. News.Az is grateful to Gullu Cahangir for permission to use her haftabajar recipe and photograph from her informative website Azerifood.com.
Preparation time: 90 min
Cooking time: 7 days
- 500 g/1 lb 4 oz aubergines (eggplants)
- 300 g/12 oz white cabbage
- 300 g/12 oz carrots
- 200 g/8 oz green tomatoes
- 200 g/8 oz beetroot
- 200 g/8 oz sweet peppers
- 1 chili pepper
- 100 g/4 oz garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 1 large bunch of dill
- 1 large bunch of mint
- 1 large bunch of purple basil
- 1 large bunch of tarragon
- approximately 500 ml/17 imperial fl.oz grape vinegar
- Wash and chop the herbs. Chop the garlic and chili pepper and add to the herbs. Add salt.
- Dice the aubergines. Salt the cubes and leave to stand for 1 hour to extract the bitterness. Rinse the aubergine cubes and blanch in boiling, salted water for 4 to 5 minutes. Strain the cubes well and wrap in a clean towel. Weigh down and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Add the aubergines to the herbs.
- Finely chop the fresh carrots, beetroot, peppers, cabbage and red onion. (You can use a food processor to speed up the preparation.) Add the chopped vegetables to the aubergines and herbs. Add salt and mix well.
- Put the mixture into sterilized glass jars, leaving the jars one-quarter empty. Add vinegar. Make holes in several places with a long spoon or other implement to make sure the vinegar gets everywhere. Add more vinegar if necessary.
- Seal the jars and put in a cool place. Leave for 1 week.