Smaller varieties of game bird, such as the quail or francolin, are often cooked on a barbecue, as in this recipe. The birds can also be cooked under the grill, but will lose the smoky flavour.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 10-15 mins
- small game birds (francolin or quail), at least 1 per person
- sour cream
- salt & pepper
- For the garnish:
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander and parsley
- Pluck and wash the game birds. Rub salt & pepper into the birds and smear them all all over with sour cream.
- Put on a spit and roast over hot charcoals for 4 to 5 minutes on either side until cooked through. A larger bird will take longer to cook.
- Garnish with the onion, tomatoes, cucumber and herbs.