Chicken cutlets are a tasty way to use up chicken and a popular everyday dish across Azerbaijan.
Chickpeas rather than breadcrumbs are used in Azerbaijani cutlets and rissoles.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 60 min (including time for the chickpeas)
- 500 g/1 lb 1 oz minced chicken
- 250 g/10 oz red onion
- 125 g/5 oz chickpeas
- 1 egg
- 1 bunch coriander
- salt & pepper
- Soak the dried chickpeas overnight in cold water. Rinse. Put in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from the heat when soft, drain and mash.
- Chop the onion finely. Mix the onion with the minced chicken and egg. Add salt and pepper and chopped coriander and dill. (Add a grated carrot to the mixture, according to taste.)
- Shape into rissoles and fry in hot oil for 5 to 8 minutes on either side.
- Serve with mashed potato, sauteed potatoes and other garnishes.