This classic dish combines aubergines (eggplants) with eggs, onions, butter and herbs. It makes a fine breakfast dish or light meal.
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 large onion
- 50 g/2 oz melted butter or vegetable oil
- 4 medium eggs
- a few sprigs of parsley
- salt & pepper
- Peel the aubergines and slice into rings 2 cm/0.8″ thick. Sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt and leave for 1 to 2 hours to remove the bitter juice. Rinse and pat dry.
- Peel the onion and separate into rounds.
- Melt the butter and fry the aubergine slices and onion rings together until soft.
- Beat the eggs and add salt & pepper. Pour the eggs over the aubergine and onion. Put some flecks of butter on top, cover and cook over a low heat or place the dish in the oven. Cook for 10 or 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked through and set.
- Serve warm with more melted butter and chopped herbs.