Çoban salatı, which translates as “shepherd’s salad”, is a classic Azerbaijani salad, found in many homes and restaurants over the summer.
The key to a good tomato and cucumber salad is to make it an hour before serving, so that the flavours can develop.
Preparation time: 20-25 min
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes
- 5 cucumbers (Azerbaijani cucumbers resemble the shorter garden cucumbers and have more bite and flavour than the longer Dutch and English cucumbers)
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 medium-sized onion, preferably a red onion
- a few sprigs of coriander, dill and purple basil
- vegetable oil (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Wash and dice the tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.
- Finely chop the onion and herbs.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Add salt & pepper and leave to stand for up to 1 hour before serving.
- Dress with 2 tablespoonfuls of vegetable oil before serving (optional).