Served with crusty fresh bread, they make a light, healthy lunch, while traditionally they are served as an accompaniment to other dishes.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 5 hours (including cooling time)
Serves: 3-4 as a side salad
- 400 g/1 lb green beans (runner beans or French beans)
- 25 g/1 oz garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 75 g/3 oz grape vinegar
- a few sprigs of dill
- a few spoonfuls of plain yoghurt (optional)
- Cook the green beans in salted water for 6 to 10 minutes.
- Strain and set aside to cool.
- When chilled, add the crushed garlic, vinegar and vegetable and mix thoroughly. leave for 2 to 4 hours for the flavours to penetrate the beans.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped dill.
- Serve with plain yoghurt (optional).