Toyug chigirtmasi or chicken with eggs is popular across Azerbaijan. It can be baked in the oven or prepared on the stove top.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 35 min
- clarified butter or vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 kg/2.2 lb chicken (boneless or on the bone), cut into about 12-14 pieces
- salt & pepper
- 5 medium-sized eggs
- lemon juice
- 2 or 3 threads of saffron
- Put the threads of saffron in a cup and add boiling water. Cover and leave to infuse for at least 30 minutes.
- Brown the chicken pieces in clarified butter or vegetable oil, cooking for about 15 minutes. Then add the chopped onion and fry until soft.
- If baking the chighirtma, preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F or gas mark 6.
- Add the salt and pepper, saffron infusion and lemon juice to the chicken and onions and mix well. Put a lid on the pan and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs as though for an omelette.
- If baking the chighirtma in the oven, rub the sides of an ovenproof dish with butter. Transfer the chicken and contents of the pan into the dish. Pour the eggs onto the chicken pieces.
- Bake in the moderately hot oven until the eggs are set (around 10 minutes).
- If not using the oven, pour the eggs over the chicken in the pan. Put the lid back on the pan and cook over a low heat until the eggs are set (5 to 10 minutes).
- Serve immediately with <a href=”http://news.az/articles/cuisine/22596″>rice pilaf</a> or bread.