The word chigirtma (çığırtma) in the name of a dish means that it has been set in beaten egg.
Preparation time: 30-40 mins
Cooking time: 45-60 mins
- 500 g/1 lb 4 oz chicken
- 100 g/4 oz melted butter
- 2 small onions
- 2-3 eggs
- 1 tspn allspice
- a few drops of citric acid or lemon juice
- a few threads of saffron
- salt & pepper
- Put a few threads of saffron in a cup and add boiling water. Cover and leave to infuse.
- Cut the chicken into 35-40 g pieces. Put the chicken pieces in a saucepan, cover with water, add salt, 1 tablespoon of allspice and a whole peeled onion. Bring the chicken to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or so until half cooked. Set aside the water for use as chicken stock.
- Brown the parboiled chicken pieces in butter in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or casserole dish if you are going to bake the chigirtma in the oven.
- Fry the chopped onion separately until golden. Add to the browned chicken pieces. Add the pepper, citric acid and saffron infusion and mix in.
- Beat the eggs and add 1 tablespoon of the bouillon. Pour onto the chicken.
- Cover the chicken and cook over a medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid once the eggs have set. Or cover the casserole dish and bake in an oven preheated to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 20 to 30 minutes. Again, remove the lid once the eggs have set.
- Cook the rice separately, following the instructions for Rice pilaf.
- Serve the rice on a large plate with the egg and chicken mixture on top.
- Add melted butter.