Originally a Turkish soup, red lentil soup (mərci şorbası or mərci) has become popular in Baku cafes and restaurants.
The soup is equally tasty as a vegetarian dish or made with chicken stock.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 25 min
- 1 cup of red lentils
- vegetable oil or butter
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- lemon, crushed red pepper or dried mint to serve
- Chop the onion and fry in oil or butter. Add the tomato paste and cook together until the onions are soft.
- Add the diced potato, chopped carrot. Stir well, cover the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils and add to the pan. Stir to make sure the lentils are coated int the vegetable and oil mixture.
- Add six cups of water or chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are cooked. Skim off any scum that forms on the surface of the soup.
- Add salt and pepper and blend with a handblender or in a food processor.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon per bowl and crushed red pepper flakes or dried mint.