The word chigirtma (çığırtma) in the name of a dish means that it has been set in beaten egg.
Preparation time: 30-40 mins
Cooking time: 40 min
- 175 g/7 oz mutton or lamb
- 1 small onion
- 25 g/1 oz melted butter
- 2 eggs
- a few sprigs of dill
- a few threads of saffron
- salt & pepper
- Put a few threads of saffron in a cup and add boiling water. Cover and leave to infuse.
- Mince the meat together with the onion.
- Add salt & pepper and the saffron infusion.
- Brown the mince in butter in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or casserole dish if you are going to bake the chigirtma in the oven.
- Beat the eggs and pour onto the mince.
- Cover the mince and cook over a medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid once the eggs have set. Or cover the casserole dish and bake in an oven preheated to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 20 to 30 minutes. Again, remove the lid once the eggs have set.
- Garnish with chopped herbs. Serve with rice or bread.